Chocolate & Nutella day 05/02!

It’s world Nutella day but did you know chocolate is bad for dogs?

Chocolate contains theobromine which is very dangerous to dogs. If dogs ingest chocolate it can lead to illness and even death; if ingested it can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy and poisoning. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic as the more of this compound it contains however even lighter or smaller amounts can have serious effects.

Some dogs may tolerate more than others; however, it is never worth the risk and large amounts can be time critical. For small amounts monitor carefully and be prepared to go to the vets should you notice anything serious developing. If you suspect your dog has chocolate it is advised that you take them to the vets as soon as possible or call for advice.

Symptoms to look out for normally show within 4-24 hours of your dog ingesting chocolate and include increased drinking and urination, vomiting, diarrhoea and restlessness.

As time goes on and more theobromine is absorbed into your dog’s system you may notice increased heart rate, lack of coordination, raised blood pressure and muscle twitching.

It is also a good idea to take along any packaging with you to your local vets as the levels of theobromine varies between each type of chocolate and manufacturer, this would therefore give the vet of the amount of chocolate and the concentration of cocoa which will help them determine any necessary treatment.

Nutella also contains other ingredients such as sugar which are not recommended and potentially dangerous for dogs.

So, remember as you enjoy your Nutella on pancakes or Valentine’s chocolates, keep everything well out of reach!

    Your basket
    Your basket is emptyReturn to shop