The ‘most dangerous plant in Britain’ has been covered in the news recently as numerous dog walkers and even dogs have fallen victim to Hogweed.

Giant Hogweed can be easily mistaken for the common Elderflower with its white flowers and thick stems. However, this plant can grow up to 5 metres tall and produces a toxic sap that is found on its leaves, stem, roots, flowers and seeds.

Giant Hogweed is commonly found beside footpaths and river banks, common routes for dog walkers.

If you or your dog happen to brush past this plant or come into any contact with it, it is likely that you will suffer from severe burns and blistering. Dog’s noses and faces are especially at risk, as the skin around these areas is extremely sensitive. If the sap comes into contact with the eyes it may lead to temporary or even permanent blindness.

The sap is phototoxic; this means if exposed to sunlight causes burns and blisters. If you suspect that your dog has been affected by Giant Hogweed make sure to cover the area and keep the dog out of sunlight to prevent blisters from forming. Whilst treating your dog be sure to wear protective gloves, and wash hands with soap and water after handling. It is advised to seek Veterinary care as soon as possible.

Warning! Distressing images – http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3165769/Ellie-Great-Dane-left-horrific-burns-sniffing-toxic-giant-hogweed-plant.html

Comments are closed.