Onions and similar foods such as garlic, leeks and chives are poisonous to dogs; they contain a compound which attacks the red bloods cells. If ingested they can cause anaemia, internal organ damage including liver failure, lethargy and in some cases can be fatal.
Chocolate is also poisonous to dogs as it contains theobromine. This sweet treat can lead to illness and even death; if ingested it can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy and poisoning. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic as the more of this compound it contains.
If you suspect your dog has eaten any amount of chocolate or onion etc., it is advised that you take them, along with the packaging to your local vets. Some dogs may tolerate more than others, however it is never worth the risk. For small amounts monitor carefully and be prepared to go to the vets should you notice anything serious developing.
Comments are closed.